Skip to Menu Skip to Content
Go to Main menuGo to Content

Lobbyist Registry

Some communications between U of T employees and federal government officials may be considered lobbying under the federal Lobbying Act. These communications must be reported on to the Lobbyist Registry through the University’s Government, Institutional and Community Relations office.

Lobbying includes any communication with a Designated Public Office Holder regarding the development of legislation or policy or non-peer-reviewed grants. These communications must be registered.

Communications that are not considered lobbying, and are therefore not required to be registered, include:

  • Applications and status inquiries for peer-reviewed grants
  • Providing advice on a public policy matter at the behest of a government official in one’s capacity as expert (e.g., a faculty member expressing his or her independent expert opinion)
  • Enquiries to obtain publicly available information
  • General enquiries about the terms and conditions of programs and application processes
  • Participation in consultations, hearings or like activities when the name of the participants, the government participant organization and the subject matters are readily available publicly
  • Communication with respect to enforcement, interpretation or application by public office holders of any current federal statute or regulation
  • Preparation and presentations of briefings to parliamentary committees

The list of Designated Public Office Holders includes:

  • Ministers, Ministers of State, other Members of Parliament and Senators
  • Ministerial staff and staff working in the offices of the Leader of the Opposition in the House of Commons or in the Senate
  • Deputy Ministers and chief executives of departments and agencies
  • Associate Deputy Minister and Assistant Deputy Minister of departments and agencies, as well as those occupying positions of comparable rank.

For further information on the principles and rules that govern lobbying, please refer to the Lobbyist’s Code of Conduct and the Lobbying Commissioner’s Advice to Post-secondary Institutions, or contact the office of Government, Institutional and Community Relations (416-946-3067;